As we’ve covered in previous posts, evaporative coolers (also known as swamp coolers) offer one of the best ways to cool your home. They’re energy efficient, they’re better for the environment than an air conditioner and they’re just as effective as running an expensive whole-home AC. But what you might not know is that proper use of a swamp cooler can increase its effectiveness, thus increasing your comfort level on hot days. Continue reading to learn best practices for your new swamp cooler:
- Know where to use it: The biggest downside regarding swamp coolers is that they’re not effective in all climates. Swamp coolers work by adding cold moisture to hot, dry air. So, if you run your swamp cooler in a humid environment, where the air is already saturated with water, it’s not going to work. Luckily, we live in the desert, so a swamp cooler is almost always effective.
- Prime your pads: Before you start running your evaporative cooler, make sure your swamp cooler pads in Phoenix, AZ are nice and wet. Before you turn on the fan (and start using electricity), make sure your swamp cooler’s reservoir is full and the pads are fully saturated with water. Doing so will ensure that you’re blowing cold air throughout your home while you’re using the unit.
- Use cold water: Studies have shown that filling your reservoir with 50-degree water yields the best results for cooling the air. The warmer the water gets, the less effective your swamp cooler is going to be. Keep an eye on the reservoir and consider filling it back up with fresh water every once in a while.
- Open the windows: When you run your AC, you want to keep your doors and windows shut, as air conditioners work best in a sealed environment. But folks with swamp coolers should consider cracking their windows while it’s running. As mentioned above, a swamp cooler is more effective in an arid environment, so letting a little bit of that dry desert air inside will make your swamp cooler work better.
- Use a dehumidifier: Again, we’re trying to keep the air as dry as possible when we have the swamp cooler running. One of the best ways to do that (along with cracking the windows) is to run a dehumidifier. For best results, place your dehumidifier near the intake grill, so the driest air possible flows over your swamp cooler pads in Phoenix, AZ.
- Maintain your cooler: Swamp coolers are like any other appliance in your home—they’ll provide the best results if they’re maintained regularly. In addition to wiping down the exterior, washing the water reservoir and replacing your swamp cooler pads when they start to get old, we recommend calling a professional to inspect and maintain your unit every year. A quick inspection by a pro can ensure an efficient and long-lasting swamp cooler.
Don’t have a swamp cooler yet? Give Premier Industries Inc. a call! We can quickly install a swamp cooler so you can get a refreshing reprieve from the desert heat.
Categorised in: Swamp Cooler Pads
This post was written by Writer