Keeping your home cool during the hot Arizona summer can be a frustrating and expensive problem, but it doesn’t have to be. Many home and business owners are turning to evaporative coolers (you might also know them as “swamp coolers”). At the most basic level, evaporative coolers use water, a pump and a fan to blow air across the surface of the water. This causes the water to evaporate into the air and bring the overall temperature down.
When debating whether an evap cooler in Phoenix, AZ is right for your home or business, there are a few factors you should take into consideration. Read on for a closer look at some of these key factors.
The single biggest factor in an evaporative cooler’s efficacy is climate. In order to have a cooling effect, the air needs to have a humidity level of 60 percent or lower. In Phoenix, that’s not a problem, but you wouldn’t want to use an indoor swamp cooler in Florida. The air is too saturated with moisture to have an effect.
Additionally, because of the potential for indoor humidity and moisture buildup, a door or window needs to be left open for circulation.
In order to keep your cooling costs down and make sure your evaporative cooler is effective, you need to ensure that your cooler is the right size. To find the right size, you need to do a little math:
- Find the volume of your room: Finding the volume of your room is as easy as multiplying the square footage of the room by how tall your ceilings are.
- Decide how many air changes per hour: Typically, you want about two air changes per hour. Multiply the volume of your room by two.
- Divide by 60: Divide the number you got from multiplying volume by air changes, then divide by 60.
The result is your CFM number: how many cubic feet per minute that your cooler needs to handle in order to keep the space cool. Now you’re ready to shop for the right cooler!
Types of evaporative coolers
There are four basic types of evap coolers in Phoenix, AZ. Which you choose will depend on your specific needs:
- Residential evaporative coolers: These coolers are designed to roll from room to room in order to keep your whole home cool.
- Window-mounted coolers: If you have just one problem room—or don’t want to roll your cooler around from room to room—you can install window-mounted coolers in each room.
- Industrial/commercial evaporative coolers: These coolers are designed for much larger areas. They can handle warehouses, garages, workshops and more.
- Outdoor evaporative coolers: Outdoor evaporative coolers are often used at concert venues, outdoor shopping centers and other areas where the heat can be too oppressive.
If you’re looking for evap coolers in Phoenix, AZ, you can count on Premier Industries Inc. to provide the finest in evaporative coolers for homes, businesses and industrial facilities. Learn more and request a quote by giving our team a call today!
Categorised in: Evaporative Cooling
This post was written by Writer